If you’ve toyed around with the idea of buying marijuana for recreational use and it’s your first time doing so, not to worry. While Colorado’s marijuana laws will likely evolve over time along with legalization policies as a whole, at present it’s fairly straightforward—and legal—to purchase marijuana for recreational use in a
Denver dispensary, such as Altitude the Dispensary. Just keep in mind the following tips and advice to maximize your experience:
Like what you bought and think you’ll be back? Altitude the Dispensary also offers a newsletter with the latest deals
- Remember your wallet – A gram of marijuana usually costs anywhere from $10-$25, however, prices can vary by dispensary and product. Dispensaries are happy to take your cash, and several dispensaries are now able to accept credit or debit cards.
- Feel free to sniff – One of the pleasures for marijuana lovers is how it smells, and as a novice buyer or user you may want to take part in the ritual. Most dispensaries will allow and even encourage you to smell the different products so you can really get a sense (no pun intended) of what they’re like.
- Ask for an opinion – Your budtender—a nifty play on “bartender,” which is the term for the experts behind the counter—can explain the differences between indica, sativa, and hybrid strains, and the benefits of topicals, edibles, and more. A reputable dispensary will have knowledgeable, enthusiastic budtenders who are more than willing to give you an education—and a recommendation—based on the experience you’d like to have.
- Use in your apartment, not on a park bench – Though marijuana is legal in Denver, it doesn’t mean you can use it in public, and that means parks, streets, and areas that are visible from public spaces, such as a hotel balcony or terrace. And you’re still not able to use marijuana in restaurants, venues, and bars, or in your car. The best place to enjoy your purchase? Definitely within the four walls of your home and/or squarely within the boundaries of your property.
- Inform your visitors – Do your out-of-state friends a favor and make sure they know the laws. First, they cannot take their legally purchased marijuana across Colorado state lines, nor can they carry it on the plane. In fact, Denver International Airport fines possession of marijuana as such: $150 for the first offense, $500 for the second offense, and $999 for a third offense or more. Secondly, anyone with an out-of-state license is only allowed to buy 7 grams (or about a quarter ounce). And no matter who is purchasing—you or your visiting friends—everyone must be 21 years of age and show a valid ID.
and info for your next visit. And if you’d like a refresher course on what you learned, check out a summary of the different strains here